Saturday, March 20, 2010

Part Two: Self evaluation

The second video in this mini series is about self evaluation.

I think she starts with a really great questions. What do you want to do with your horse? Or with horses in general? There are a lot of great activities that you can do without ever getting on your horse. Trick training, driving, petting and grooming, taking walks, miniature horse events such as jumping, and halter. There is a lot you can do without ever throwing a leg over the horse. For many of us, it is the act of riding that really gives us the most pleasure.

Even in riding, there are many choices of activities to do. Everything from pleasure riding down some country road to competitive trail riding, hopping over a few ground poles to eventing. Do you want to be a western pleasure star or ride a dressage test? It is important to have an idea of where you want to go before you start out.

After thinking about what you really want to do, it is next important to look at your own skills. I know for myself that at one time I could sit a horse very well. I know that I can again. I know in my mind what I can do, sometimes I need to remind my body.

Next in the video is about comfort zones. Good risks and bad risk, and how to take good risks. It does a good job of that, I'm just going to let you watch it.


As an aside you have to take a good look at the picture they chose for bad risks. I just wondered about the choice, a little odd if you ask me.

A few brief comments are made about horse choice at the very end. I think they really could have made a whole 2 minute video just about your horse. I really think that for many of us, our horse is a big part of the problem. I have read too many stories, myself included, where the rider decided to just ride the horse they had, even if that horse was not appropriate at the time.

When I got Abby I was planning on working with a riding instructor and then that fell through. I knew when I bought Abby that she may have been a little too much for me at the time, but I was confident that with some help that we could get her going well. Well so much for the best laid plans. I have read over and over again of others who are not sure where to go, so they just keep on with a horse that is not going to work, often without help.

We, as fearful riders, need to remember that it is okay to ask for help. Being careful of who we ask though.

Next, the final video.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's also important to do what YOU want to do with your horse, not what others think or say you should do, or what you may think they think you should do. I think many people are pushed into inappropriate situations, or pushed (often by trainers) into getting inappropriate horses that are too much for their ability and confidence levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I like the fear scale. I can probably use that in other things in my life, like going to the doctor lol. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your positive comments. I love you hear from you!